Israelian military attack on nuclear facilities is considered as “impossible” by Iran.
“Such audacity to embark on an assault against the interests and territorial integrity of our country is impossible”, said spokesman Gholam Hoseyn Elham.
This statement comes after reports in the US media saying that Israeli aerial manoeuvres over the eastern Mediterranean were a possible test-run for a strike on Iran.
But Iran still insists that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes.
The country has repeatedly rejected demands, from several countries, to halt enriching uranium, as it can be used as fuel for power plants or material for weapons if refined to a greater degree.
In the same time, Mohammed El Baradei, the head of the UN’s nuclear watchdog, said that attacking Iran would put the country on a “crash course” to building nuclear weapons and would turn the region “into a fireball”.
According to him, given the current status of its nuclear programme, there is no “imminent risk” of proliferation by Iran.
Israel willingness to act unilaterally
Mr El Baradei also said, in an interview with Al Arabiya television, that if any military action was taken against Iran he would find it impossible to continue as the head of the IAEA.
Iran’s defiant message follows a report in the New York Times. On Friday, the newspaper cited US Pentagon officials as saying that the Israeli exercise, involving more than 100 Israeli fighter jets, was intended to demonstrate the seriousness of Israel’s concern over Iran’s nuclear activities, and its willingness to act unilaterally.
Helicopters and refuelling tankers flew more than 1,400km, roughly the distance between Israel and Iran’s main uranium enrichment plant at Natanz, the article said.
Israeli officials declined to discuss the details of the exercise, reported The New York Times. The US state department would not comment on the Israeli exercise either.
Iran is said to be considering an offer from six world powers of preliminary talks, which would be used to agree a framework for formal negotiations and incentives.
But the condition for the talks is that Iran freezes its current levels of enrichment for six weeks, in exchange for the powers putting a halt on their push for new sanctions.
Last week, during talks in Tehran, Javier Solana, EU foreign policy chief, put forward the proposal made by the five permanent members of the United Nations Council, The US, China, Russia, Britain plus Germany.
He said that the six powers were ready to fully recognise Iran’s right to have a civilian nuclear energy programme.