A Palestinian youth has been shot and killed early Sunday, during a night patrol in a West Bank village, said Palestinians.
In two days, it was the second such incident in the West Bank. Even if the territory is not included in the truce that started June 19, between Israel and Gaza militants, a deadly clash there, after the ceasefire took hold, provoked retaliation from Gaza militants.
A Palestinian attacked soldiers with two Molotov coktails in the village of Tubas, and the soldiers shot him, said the Israeli military.
The troops shot the 17-year-old after midnight, a time when village youths often throw stones at army patrols, said a resident of Tubas, Ayman Abdel Razek, 40. He added that the youth was unarmed.
The soldiers tried to resuscitate the youth, but failed, said the Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service. Then, the soldiers turned his body over to Palestinian authorities.
Late Friday, in a similar incident, soldiers shot and killed another 17-year-old near the West Bank town of Hebron. The youth was throwing Molotov cocktails at an army patrol, said Israeli and Palestinian officials.
Open the crossings
Last week, an Israeli raid in the West Bank killed an Islamic Jihad commander. And though the ceasefire only includes the Gaza Strip, this incident provoked rocket and mortar fire from militants in Gaza.
As a consequence, Israel has kept its cargo crossings with Gaza shut since Wednesday.
On Sunday, Israel plans to open the crossings. Speaking Saturday night, defense officials said that a meeting of defense chiefs had decided to allow 80 truckloads of goods to cross.
As an official statement had not yet been issued, they spoke on condition of anonymity.
Late Saturday, in a possible hitch, the Israeli army’s sensing equipment picked up the launch of a mortar shell from Gaza, the military said, though it was unclear where it hit. No militant group took responsibility and no casualties or damage were reported.