Actors received a last-ditch offer from Hollywood producers, in their pay dispute. The entertainment industry is already on de facto strike.
The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) offered performers a three-year deal, just hours before the current contract expires.
They said that they addressed actor’s key concerns over revenue from new media, and that the offer was worth more than $250m.
But the offer did not appear promising, said the Screen Actors Guild (SAG).
Doug Allen, SAG executive director and chief negociator, said the 43-page proposal was being studied by the body. “This offer does not appear to address some key issues important to actors”, he added in a statement.
Earlier this year, a 100-day Screen Writers Guild strike damaged film and TV production. Analysts say that this strike is the sequel no Hollywood studio boss wants to see.
In a statement, the AMPTP said : “Our industry is now in a de facto strike, with film production virtually shut down and television production now seriously threatened.”
The studios group said that on Monday, after 42 days of negociation on a new labour contract, it had presented its final offer to SAG, the main union of US film and TV actors.
The consequences of a strike “would be enormous”, warned the AMPTP, adding that SAG’s 120 000 members would lose $2,5m a day in wages.
In order to discuss the industry’s proposal, both sides agreed to meet again on Wednesday.
SAG also believes that a deal, reached with studio bosses by its smaller sister acting guild, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), undermines its own bargaining position.