As no rocket and mortar attacks launched at southern Israel since an attack on Thursday, Israel took the decision to reopen the crossings. Last week, Israel closed border crossings to the Gaza Strip, after a rocket was fired from the Hamas-ruled territory, in defiance of a truce that took effect June 19.
“The Sufa, Nahal Oz, and Erez crossings are open for the passage of goods, including cement and fuel, as well as basic goods”, said on Sunday Peter Lerner, an Israeli military spokesman.
Goods will be allowed into the largely blockaded territory, thanks to the reopening of the crossings.
And if there are urgent medical cases, requiring treatment in Israel, the Erez pedestrian crossing would also be open.
Since the truce began, which was supposed to lead to the easing of the crippling blockade imposed by Israel more than a year ago, when the Hamas seized power in Gaza, several rockets and mortar rounds have been fired at Israel from Gaza.
And on Friday, because of the closures, that Hamas said was a violation of the Egyptian-brokered truce, the group said it was suspending talks over the release of Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier who has been captured in a deadly cross-border raid in June 2006
On Sunday, Israel’s Maariv newspaper reported that security officials hoped that with the reopening of the crossings, Hamas would be encouraged to renew negotiations aimed at a prisoner swap for the Israeli soldier
In exchange for Gilad Shalit, Hamas has demanded the release of 1 000 Palestinian prisoners jailed by Israel, including about 450 people that are serving long sentences.
In the proposed list, there are names of several Palestinian fighters, convicted of carrying out deadly attacks on Israelis.
In the same time, Hamas has vowed to arrest anyone who violates the truce, and insisted that its own fighters are respecting it.