The ceasefire between Gaza and Israel that started in June is unlikely to be extended, the Palestinian group Hamas has said in a statement attributed to exiled leader Khaled Mashaal.
Earlier reports on Sunday quoting Mr Mashaal as saying there would definitely be no renewal of the truce were inaccurate, Hamas officials told Al Jazeera.
But a final decision is yet to be taken, while the ceasefire is due to expire on December 19.
“It will not be renewed as long as there is no real Israeli commitment to all of its conditions”, said Osama al-Muzaini, a Hamas spokesman based in Gaza.
“There is nothing that encourages us to continue with a deal that did not achieve the results we hoped for.”
David Regev, spokesman for the Israeli prime minister, Ehud Olmert, told news agency AP that Israel was committed to the truce but “it’s clear there can’t be a one-sided ceasefire”.
“Israel cannot unilaterally accept a situation where rockets are everyday coming from the Gaza Strip targeting Israeli civilians”, he said.
In the past two months both sides accused each other of violating the truce as there have been sporadic violent clashes along the Israeli-Gaza border.
Israeli troops have carried out raids within the Strip while Hamas fighters have launched rocket attacks on southern Israel.
Since then, Israel has stepped up its blockade of Gaza, which has attracted widespread international criticism. However Israel says it will maintain the blockade until Hamas puts an end to rocket attacks.
On Sunday, Ismail Haniya, the Hamas leader in the Strip, addressed thousands of people gathered in Gaza’s main square in order to celebrate the 21st anniversary of Hamas.
There Mr Haniya said : “The first priority for us in Hamas is national dialogue and the lifting of the siege. We call upon the Arab and Muslim communities to lift the siege on Gaza.”
He also criticised moves to extend the presidency of Mahmoud Abbas, the chair of Fatah and president of the Palestinian Authority, beyond January 9, 2009.
“There is no legitimacy to the extension of Abbas’s presidency after January 9 … we don’t understand the declaration of Abbas as the president of the state of Palestine. Which state are they talking about?” he said.
Fatah immediately answered, calling Mr Haniya’s remarks “miserable” and indicative of “the insolence of Hamas“.
“Haniya’s statement on the term of the president is worthless”, said Fahmi Al-Zaarir, Fatah’s spokesman in the West Bank. He added that Fatah was ready to hold presidential and parlimentary elections “immediately”.
Gazans are highly sceptical about the ceasefire, said Ayman Mohyeldin, Al Jazeera’s correspondent in Gaza.
“They say, so far, the exisiting truce has not brought any gains to the people in Gaza. People say the ongoing siege is a stark example of how Israel has treated Gazans”, he said.
On Sunday, officials from Israel and Egypt, which has acted as a mediator between the two sides, are expected to meet in Cairo in order to discuss extending the ceasefire.
At the same time, for the first time in five years the United Nations is expected to pass a resolution calling for peace in the Middle East.
In order to discuss a US-sponsored resolution, the Security Council will meet on Tuesday. The text calls for peace efforts between Israel and the Palestinians to be intensified.