The Spanish government has reportedly rejected the statement made earlier this month by the Basque separatist group Eta, saying that it is ready for a permanent ceasefire.
Officials told Spanish media that the government was still waiting for the outlawed group to renounce all violence.
On Sunday, two unnamed and masked Eta members told the Basque newspaper Gara that Eta was ready to “go one step further” and enter a dialogue on ending the conflict if the right “conditions” were created.
But in an interview with El Mundo newspaper, a Spanish Interior Ministry called Eta’s statements and interviews “a waste of time”, adding that the government was waiting for the Eta to “denounce violence permanently”.
After Eta’s announcement on September 5, Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said Eta had broken too many ceasefires to be trusted.
Since 1968, Eta’s campaign for independence from Spain has cost more than 800 lives.
The group has come under pressure from its political wing Batasuna to show willingness to give up violence, said BBC’s Phil Minshull in Madrid.
He added that a series of arrests in Spain and France is also believed to have severely weakened Eta.