Firing on a bus carrying American military personnel on Wednesday at Frankfurt airport, a gunman killed two US servicemen, police said. (photo, from aljazeera.net)
The US Air Force confirmed that two of its airmen died, one of them is said to have been the driver, and added that two were wounded.
After the shooting, a 21-year-old man from Kosovo was held in front of Terminal 2 at Europe’s second-biggest airport, which is located near the large US military base at Ramstein, a hub for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Police spokesman Jurgen Linker told AFP news agency: “Everything happened on board the bus. The suspected gunman has been arrested. There are two dead and two seriously injured.”
In an interview, Kosovo Interior Minister Bajram Rexhepi said that German police had identified the suspect as a Kosovan citizen from the northern town of Mitrovica.
“This is a devastating and a tragic event,” Mr Rexhepi said, reports the Associated Press news agency.
“We are trying to find out was this something that was organised or what was the nature of the attack.”
Boris Rhein, the interior minister for the German state of Hesse, confirmed the gunman was from Kosovo.
“Whether the incident was linked to terrorism I cannot say at this stage,” he told journalists.
The shooting was condemned as a “terrible incident” by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
“I would like to say how saddened I am by this incident and I would like to assure you that the German government will do our utmost to investigate what happened,” she told journalists in Berlin.
Last year in Germany, four Islamists were convicted in March for plotting to bomb several targets, one of them was Ramstein Air Base.
Germany currently has 4,860 troops in Afghanistan, and last month the country’s parliament extended by one year the military mission there.
Domestic polls suggest the mission’s unpopularity.